The abbey of Notre-Dame de Beaupré-sur-la-Lys was founded in 1220 by the lords of Béthune, Daniel and Robert. The latter was constable of King John "Sans-Terre".The abbey joined the Cistercian Order in 1224.
Next to Lille and Béthune, the site shows the basis of the monastery, brought to light with the opportunity of recent archæological excavations:
East, the oldest buildings (13th century) included the chapter-house,
North, the refectory, the convers' dormitories were above,
West, the abbess's lodging, built in 1588 and renewed in 1737,
South, the church which delimited the cloister with the well at the center of it.